Saturday, May 24, 2014

Delayed, Delayed, Cancelled

Savannah was scheduled to have surgery yesterday.  It didn't happen.  Around 11pm on Thursday night, I got a call from the hospital letting me know that, due to an emergency surgery that was expected to take all night, Sav's surgery would take place at 11am (instead of 9:30am as originally planned).  Okay--this was actually welcome news--we could sleep a little later, and Savannah would be able to drink clear liquids (apple juice, gatorade, and water) until 8am.

The next morning, I called the hospital just to verify the times (I was half asleep when they called, so I didn't want to entirely trust my memory), and was told that the emergency surgery had not yet ended (I called around 6:30am) and that they would call me back within 5-10 minutes to give me the new surgery time.  In the meantime, Sav could drink clear liquids.  So, I began filling her up with (full-sugar) apple juice and Gatorade.  She couldn't eat until post-surgery, so I wanted to get some calories in her.  I kept my phone close, waiting for the phone call...and I waited, and waited, and waited.  Around 8:30am, I called back to find out what was going on.  I was told they were still working on the new schedule and would get back to me ASAP, but to keep giving Savannah liquids.  So, she kept drinking.

At 9:30, I received a call from the scheduler, and was told that they had decided to cancel all surgeries for the day, and that we would need to re-schedule Savannah's surgery.  The next opening they had was 2 weeks out.  I was not happy--while I completely understand that a more urgent medical issue takes precedence over Savannah's surgery (obviously), I was frustrated by the communication breakdown and was also concerned that this would happen every time we scheduled something.  Sav's surgery, while it needs to be done, is not an emergency.  It will never take priority, and I don't want to keep prepping Savannah for surgery (walking through what would happen at the hospital, not letting her eat, etc etc), only to have to cancel and re-schedule.  I was not especially nice to the lady on the phone (I had also been extraordinarily anxious about the surgery, so my emotions were all worked up)--Jason had to call alter to reschedule.  She is now scheduled for Monday, June 2.  So, please keep thinking about us and our girl...we'll keep you posted on any developments/changes to this new timeline.

After this all happened, we fed Savannah breakfast, and then she proceeded to run laps around the house b/c she was on a ridiculous sugar high...like epic sugar high. I was tempted to take her to school and let her lovely teachers deal with my sugar-crazed child, but I'm kinder than that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment