Sunday, December 1, 2013

How is it December already?

December 1 is here, which means it's time for a dissertation update!

I'm actually in really good shape in terms of the dissertation.  In November, I:

  • Polished chapter three (Edinburgh)--it's ready to go to my other committee members who, hopefully, will only have minor suggestions 
  • Nearly finished polishing chapter one (theatre history)--hopefully this will also get out to other committee members within the next week or so
My plan for December is to get these two chapters out and get feedback on what they think chapter two (the bit b/t the history of theatre and the case study of Edinburgh) should accomplish.  I've got about 35 pages written for chapter two, but it's rather aimless right now.  I think having some outside eyes on the chapters will help give me some clarity on this chapter, which is, undoubtedly, the biggest thorn in my side with the dissertation.  I'd also like to return to the Geneva chapter and get that in good enough shape to go to my advisor.  That might be unrealistic, though, given that it's the Christmas season.  For sure, that will happen by the middle of January, though.

I'm teaching in the spring (http://history.berkeley.edu/courses/undergraduate/2014/spring/103b002), so in addition to dissertating, I've got to do some admin type stuff for that class. I've set up our course website and finished the syllabus, but now I need to actually find all the readings in the library and get those to the local copy shop, so that the course reader can be assembled.  And then, you know, I've got to teach it :)

I had a minor panic attack this week when I realized how close I am to being done (I mean, there's still lots of editing to do, but the dissertation is more or less fully drafted at this point).  For the last seven years, I've always known what was coming the following year--more classes (in the first few years), more research, more writing, more teaching.  But now, there gapes a big unknown come June 1.  I've applied for some jobs--not too many as of yet, because it's still on the early side--but I don't know what I'll be doing after graduation.  Part of me wouldn't mind some time off.  Maybe take an extended family vacation somewhere fun (I could go to Europe without having to do research!).  But then what?  Not knowing the answer to that question terrifies me.  

I don't want to leave on a bad note, so here are some cute pictures of Savannah and our Thanksgiving celebration  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment