Thursday, August 29, 2013

A New Chair, and a Crazy Busy Week

The (right) chair was delivered!  Woohoo!  Jason got his new chair last Tuesday and, so far, so good. He's had to make a few adjustments to the back angle and cushion, but we expected this.  It takes some time to get accustomed to a new chair and to know what needs to be fixed.


Very excited to FINALLY have a properly fitted chair!!!!!

After getting the chair, the week got progressively busier.  Savannah took a(nother) tumble at school.  No broken bones this go round, but she did have to have a cut in her head stapled.  That. was. not. pleasant.  For anyone.  I was crying, she was screaming, and the doctors probably thought we were hopelessly over-dramatic.  Once we left the ER, we walked out to the car, Savannah looked at me and said, "Mommy, I was so scared."  Cue the waterworks in the parking lot.  I had planned to go immediately home post-ER, but Savannah had other ideas.  It was the last day of school for her and there was a party planned, one that we had made cupcakes for the night before.  I explained that we could go home and she could have/do whatever she wanted (ice cream for dinner! movies all night!), but she decided she wanted to go back to school and have a cupcake.  So, that's what we did.  We didn't stay long, but she enjoyed getting to have her cupcake and try out some of the other goodies on hand at the party.
Decorating cupcakes for end-of-year party

Savannah stayed home with Jason Wednesday through Friday while school was closed.  I was very busy at work.  The teaching conference our office has been prepping for all summer took place on Thursday and Friday.  Which meant several long (13+ hour) days for me.  Thankfully, the conference was a resounding success.  Now time to move on to new projects at work!
Back in the classroom, teaching a new group of graduate students how to teach!

Not sure if it was the end of week exhaustion that made this amusing, but this sign had me giggling....

I won't go into too much detail about the weekend.  It started off strong with a visit to the children's museum in Sausalito, but ended with me pushed to my limits--lot of craziness at the house and, due to the physical limitations imposed by SCI, I was the only person who could deal with everything.  After a crazy week, I needed a break and didn't get one.  There was a point when I seriously contemplated curling up in a ball and sobbing.  Thankfully, I've got an awesome partner in Jason.  He couldn't help with the physical demands of what was going on, but he was an excellent cheerleader and supporter.  Most of the time, I feel like we have a handle on SCI, but occasionally we get knocked down.  I imagine this will always be our reality.





This week has been slightly less busy...I'm dissertating a lot, trying to get a chapter to my advisor next week.  Stay tuned for a post on the dissertation process!

Hope everyone has a happy (and safe!) labor day weekend!






No comments:

Post a Comment